Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Healthy, Quick, Cheap & Oh So Yummy

This week is crazy.  I'm squaring away my lesson plans for next week, prepping my sub-plans for my meeting with my sub tomorrow, still trying to get into a groove with my class, packing for Molly's wedding and wrapping up the details for her big day...and keeping tomorrow night free to celebrate two years of marriage :)  Yes, FUN.

So when I made my grocery list last weekend, I planned quick and easy dinners for this week.  I just had to take a minute to share this one.  It was that good. 


I don't have pictures of the step-by-step cooking process (which in my kitchen, included dropping a bowl of black beans, shattering the bowl, and vacuuming up beans), but, if this isn't fancy enough for ya, you can check out the post that made my mouth water.  

Step 1:  Cook brown rice. 
I cooked 1 cup since it's just the two of us.  Actually...Jamie cooked it for us--so it was warm and ready when I walked through the door.  (He's so helpful...and he hates having to wait on dinner :)

Step 2:  Warm up a can of rinsed and drained black beans.  I hope it's as simple as that for you :)

Step 3:  Mix together:
3 large peaches, skinned and diced
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 bunch of chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, minced
Juice of 1 lime
Salt to taste

Step 4:  Layer rice, beans and peach salsa.  We topped with green onions because we had them and we are fans.  Enjoy!  

And now, because we feel so great, we're going out for a run. :)  

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! Go Laramie! Looks delicious... and if it motivates you to run afterwards, I'm definitely going to need to keep that recipe around after baby #2 arrives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised at how good this one was. I threw a couple of crushed tortilla chips over mine and it threw it over the edge! ~ jamie

    ReplyDelete